Kurt D. Lloyd
888-365-5481 (Toll Free)
For 25 years, Kurt Lloyd has practiced plaintiff's personal injury law representing severely injured clients. Mr. Lloyd has obtained jury verdict and settlements totaling over 250 million dollars. He is a native of Chicago and the founder of the Lloyd Law Group. In February, 2008, the Chicago Magazine published its annual lawyer ratings ranking Mr. Lloyd a "Super Lawyer" in Illinois for the fourth year in a row. Over a ten year period, Mr. Lloyd has won 24 medical malpractice cases, each for one million dollars or more, for a total in excess of $100 million. In 2007, the Chicago Lawyer recognized Mr. Lloyd as one of only a handful of Illinois attorneys who has annually obtained one or more million dollar settlements on behalf of his clients for the last fifteen years. In 2004, in recognition of his trial experience Mr. Lloyd was awarded the Citation of Excellence Medal by the American Trial Lawyers Association, the largest organization of trial lawyers in the United States. Lastly, Mr. Lloyd is a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates, which is by invitation, only based on trial experience.
In 2007, Mr. Lloyd secured a $14 million settlement for a brain damaged boy in Vlachos v. Northwestern Memorial Hospital. In approving the settlement for the child, Judge Kathy Flanagan wrote that "the plaintiff's lead attorney Kurt D. Lloyd represented the minor Plaintiff in the prosecution and settlement of a complex and novel case, and obtained an extraordinary result in comparison to the same or similar cases…." Recently, one of Mr. Lloyd's clients said, "Kurt brought certain calm to the situation that helped us feel that as crazy as things were, everything in the end would be fine".
In the courtroom, Mr. Lloyd is a highly experienced lawyer having prosecuted more than 50 jury trials on behalf of plaintiffs. "I help injured victims recover. There is no secret: from start to finish, I am a "hands on" lawyer for every one of my cases," says Mr. Lloyd.
Mr. Lloyd's cases often involve a person who has been catastrophically injured or a family who has lost a loved one. Notably:
- $9.7 million jury verdict against an HMO primary care physician for a mismanaged pregnancy. Thomas v. Anthony, M.D.
- $4.3 million settlement for blind spot created in roadway at construction site. Hallsten v. City of Chicago.
- $8 million settlement for the wrongful death of a single mother after surgery. Morris v. University of Chicago Hospitals.
- $5.0 million settlement for dangerously made drug vaccine. Jacobs v. Merrill Dow Co.
- $7.5 million settlement for a heart attack which was missed in the Emergency Room causing brain damage. Hopkins v. Westlake Hospital.
- $5 million dollar settlement for auto negligence causing spinal injuries. Sonani v. Eastwood.
- $1.4 Million settlement for slip and fall on dangerous premises of a diabetic patient causing loss of her foot. Larsen-Hruby v. FCB, LTD.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury Plaintiff's
- Medical Malpractice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1985
- Florida, 1986
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1986
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1988
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1985
- DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois
- B.A. - 1981
- Honors: with Honors
- Major: English
- Editor, Outlines & Strategies: How to Prepare for, Take and Use a Deposition, James Publishing Co, 2001
- Chapter: "Closing Argument", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Medical Negligence Trial Notebook, 2nd Edition, 1999
- Lecturer, "Expert Witnesses—A Primer: Direct Examination of Plaintiff's Expert", Illinois State Bar Association, 2008
- Lecturer, "The Plaintiff's Expert Witness: Presenting a Persuasive Witness", Law Bulletin Seminars, Litigation Skills-3, 2008
- Lecturer, "The Plaintiff's Expert Witness: Finding and Choosing a Witness", Law Bulletin Seminars, Litigation Skills-1, Chicago, Illinois, 2008
- Lecturer, "Medical Negligence: Presenting the Plaintiff’s Case", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association; Chicago, Illinois, 2007
- Lecturer, "Trucking Litigation and U.S. Dept. of Transportation Regulations", Lorman Education Services; Downers Grove, Illinois, 2006
- Lecturer, "Apparent Agency and Institutional Negligence", Illinois Trial lawyers Association; Chicago, Illinois, 2005
- Lecturer, "Deposing Defense Witnesses", National Business Institute, Oak Brook, Illinois, 2003
- Lecturer, "Tort Immunity: Updates in the Law", Illinois State Bar Association; Chicago, Illinois, 2000
- Lecturer, "ACOG Bulletin No.163 and Related Obstetrical Liability Defenses,", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association; Chicago, Illinois, 1999
- Lecturer, "Changes in Illinois Evidence Laws", Illinois Trial lawyers Association; Chicago, Illinois, 1998
- Lecturer, "Jury Instructions", Illinois Trial Lawyers Association; Chicago, Illinois, 1997
Honors and Awards
- Chicago Magazine Published Annual Lawyer Ratings Ranking "Super Lawyer", 2008
- Awarded Citation of Excellence Medal by American Association for Justice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member